Welcome to The Grad School Grind blog!
My name is Jessie and I’m the brains, brawn, and beauty as well as the confusion, chaos, and (sometimes) catastrophe behind this blog. First of all, thank you for visiting my site. I hope you find it humorous, entertaining, and above all else, I hope it is helpful.
I’m nearly through my graduate school journey (in my fifth year… EEK!) and am working towards my Ph.D. in clinical psychology.
I’ve often looked to the interwebs for nerdy humor, relatable content about the experience of grad school, and hacks for surviving the damn thing (it’s no small feat!). I did find some gems (check out Piled Higher and Deeper Comics, #whatshouldwecallgradschool, Get a Life, PhD, and Lego Grad Student), but largely felt like what I was looking for wasn’t out there. So just like they say, ‘if there’s a book you want to read but isn’t written, write it’ (Shel Silverstein), so here I go!
Here’s what you can expect from TGSG:
- Posts about life as a graduate student*
- Answers to common questions about applying to graduate school, internship, post-doctoral positions, and first jobs.
- Tried and true hacks for surviving the daily grind (ways to save money, self care tips)*
- Reviews of books and research articles I find important and interesting (I promise to cut down on the jargon and keep things interesting – I know, Dad, you’re reading this…)*
- Recommended tools for surviving and thriving in graduate school*
*DISCLAIMER: I feel the need to let y’all know that I will be sharing personal, non-objective accounts of my own life and will be writing the blog through the flawed, admittedly biased lens of my own experiences.
I truly feel like the blog world (err, let me correct that – academic world) can always use a hint of genuine, raw, person-hood. So here we go – let’s get real about graduate school and the roller coaster ride it truly is.
Have any questions or thoughts or suggestions for posts? I want to hear from you! Head over to the contact page. I always am looking for suggestions and questions to answer!